Sunday, January 25, 2009

Tonight's Dinner: Cornish Hens that I will probably fuck up


So tonight I'm making cornish hens. I've wanted to roast a whole chicken for some time now, but I'm a little intimidated by giant birds. I figure I'll try out my meat roasting skizzles with some cute little hens first. Right now they are marinating in a sauce recipe that I got from PAWLA Dean. I took the suggestions from the recipe comments and made a double batch of marinade. However, as I was throwing it together, I realized I did not have enough soy sauce (oops!) so I substituted a little Worchestire sauce instead. I've made a couple of Asian recipes with a combo of soy and Worchestire and it always tastes delicious!


So far, they have been marinating for almost 4 hours and I am going to stick them in the oven in about 15 minutes . . .I hope this turns out good! I'm not really a huge fan of marinating - haven't noticed much of a difference in taste between marinating meat for hours and just slopping the sauce on right before you cook it.


Side dish #1: Sorta Potato Salad. Modified this from a Rachael Ray recipe (Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine, June/July 2007) called Balsamic Potato and Green Bean Salad. I didn't have any green beans so just used potatoes. The sauce contains dijon mustard (mmmmm!), one of my favorite ingredients. Everything tastes better with mustard - it's like the bacon of condiments!


Side dish #2: Carrots in Lemon Butter and Dill Sauce. Kinda just something I throw together sometimes. The first time I made these, I used a little too much lemon juice (that stuff is potent!) but it's not too bad if you REALLY like lemon!

No comments:

Post a Comment